Monday, April 8, 2013

Low-income, high-achieving students and their college-going rates

We have talked about over and under matching the implications of those phenomena. Low-income, high-achieving students are not even applying to selective institutions. A relatively cheap program was created to educate students on cost, graduation rates, and give application fee waivers. The students in the program ended up applying to more schools and schools at their preparation level and having success at their institutions. I think that this program has value, but I believe Kezar would say that this does not deconstruct and reconstruct programs that help to gain better access for students. 

Thoughts about this program? There is something to be said about attempting to improve to the capital of low-income students and I do think that the program helps with that. 

Interested to see different perspectives about this program. I would like to see these results replicated.

2 comments:

  1. I found a very similar article, I believe about the same research on The Chronicle. However, my article didn't mention anything about continuing to help the students (financially) once they're admitted. It doesn't look like yours does either.

    That's my main concern. GREAT that the schools are waiving their application fee and that we now have a way to encourage these students to apply. But what happens after they get in? How are they supported financially?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi, good article. I think it is important to focus on those students who are low-income but high achieving students. There should be more of a push to get students to attend these schools that are competitive.

    ReplyDelete