Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Meet the squirrel & then watch a great video!

Two things...

First, we discussed school mascots in our last class period, and thus I wanted to share (in case everyone was not aware) that Undergraduate Admissions has been welcoming newly admitted students to campus with a squirrel, and I am not sure what word to use other than a mascot suit. Anyways, it seems to have caused a bit of confusion, and some newly admitted families were concerned it was the new mascot. The squirrel was previously named Oskee, but due to concern the name had to change, so everyone....meet Sassafras (at least I think that's the squirrel's new name)... who is NOT the new mascot, just a squirrel welcoming new students....

Squirrel suit

Second, I recommend that everyone watch the following video. It's has some great points that should be considered. Especially when helping students select majors, or through the process of helping high school students make college plans.

Essentially, it discusses how the future is about to change and job opportunities are going to increase in the trades, such as electricians, who by the way can make a pretty good starting salary of $50,000+

It's a long video but the first 5minutes covers a lot of great information, such as how students go to school for the wrong majors - majors which often do not suit their skills. The link to the video is below.... I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would when I was told to watch it ;)

http://vimeo.com/67277269

No comments:

Post a Comment