Thursday, February 7, 2013

UI proposing China-funded 'Confucius Institute' on campus



This article will address mixed feelings in regards to a decision to possibly bring a 'Confucius Institute' to the campus for the Chinese students. Does this mean that UIUC will accommodate all international populations if their governments are willing to fund the institute that will improve their language proficiency or at least the top three? Is it because China is now standing as number one with a total of 4,257 students on UIUC campus for international students? What about the other two populations that stand in the top three, Korean students at 1,153 and Indian students at 1,122? Is it all about the funds that UIUC will acquire if this happens? I am sure there are mixed emotions about the latest news for UIUC.  Please view post and tell me what you think. 

View site:
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/education/2013-02-06/ui-proposing-china-funded-confucius-institute-campus.html
 

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of these institutes but the concept seems beneficial. I think it is interesting that the article did not highlight how many Chinese students are on the UIUC campus compared to other international student populations and how the campus might react to this addition. I imagine that UIUC is motivated by the money that the program could bring in rather than focusing on how this program could impact the campus community and the C-U community (I think I might just need to read more about this to understand more). I think this could put Chinese international students at an advantage. I could see these types of programs popping up more and more.

    ReplyDelete