Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Racial Micragressions at University of Illinois

This article was posted earlier this week by the Chronicle of Higher Education about the University of Illinois and the experiences of racial minority students on our campus. As we've spent the semester talking about diversity in higher education and the importance of individuals' stories, this report resonates well with our conversations and the reality of our own experiences and our students' experiences here at Illinois. There were a few Inclusive Illinois talks this semester that I think addressed some of this, but I had not seen the full report until this article.  I may have completely overlooked an email from the university with this report in the plethora of other emails clogging my Inbox, but my immediate reaction was "why am I reading about this from the Chronicle and not my own university leadership?!" I found the individual stories of experiences from our students of color to be especially interesting, and disheartening that not just students, but our own colleagues, staff, faculty on this campus have used words and actions in such exclusive, discriminatory, and offensive ways as educators and professionals. Seems to counter the "Inclusive" Illinois philosophy.

Here's the link to the article (it's pretty basic): http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/most-minority-students-at-u-of-illinois-report-being-racially-stereotyped/98333

More importantly, here's the link to the report: http://www.racialmicroaggressions.illinois.edu/files/2015/03/RMA-Classroom-Report.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment