Monday, April 18, 2011

How do you respond to 'racist' emails?

Recently we sent out a Federal Alert to all alumni asking them to write their legislators in support of Pell Grant funding as well as Federal Research funds. Anything that we send out we receive a lot of response from the alumni...ranging from people that may not quite be with it anymore (some of the messages are very 'interesting') and we always receive many supporting the chief, no matter what the issue may be (for this email we received many back that said they will no longer support the U of I because the chief is no longer here, and we as an alumni association did not take a stance). Well, as I was going through emails from the above alert, I read one that was extremely upsetting...how would you respond? Should there be a response? Remember, working as part of the University I am acting on behalf of them whatever I do...but it is hard to ignore the personal defense I take in emails such as these; the ignorance, racist comments, and so forth. The person remains confidential...but I can tell you that they graduated in '62...does it change the reaction/response? This is their response to our email: "Research grants... Yes. Sorry I am very tired of my tax $$ going to support minority students in any way shape of form. I would like ot know how many "illegal" immigrant children I am as Illinois resident I am funding. Sorry...I worked my was thru the University of Illinois as a veteran. I have given enough of my tax dollars...no more if I can help it which I am sure with this Obama Debacle I can not...what Muslim Grants next!?"** **Please note, I left in all of the typos as they were in the email (cut and pasted). The email was supporting the Research Grants...but obviously against Pell Grants...and note that this person made it a "minority" issue, and not a socioeconomical issue.

9 comments:

  1. Wow. Definitely hard to read. How much of a "protocol" do you have to write reply emails? I would either respond with a dismissive, brief thank you or with a very long email that includes perspective, history, and rationale.

    This person's graduation date actually did not affect my reaction. That's probably my ignorance though. (The typos and grammar probably had a bigger impact for me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That type of email warrants a 'no response' as protocol, unless they write back again, we just ignore.
    It definitely is hard not to write back citing sources and including actual facts (not sterotypical facts or ones that people believe to be true).

    It was interesting...when I read this I thought that it would be from a younger graduate...it didn't really change my opinion, ignorance and racism isn't generational. The typos were fitting, and helped me 'calm-down' a little...definitely makes it hard for me to be 'bipartisan' on issues like these...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The response this person gave does not surprise me. What does surprise me, however, is the fact that they were bold enough (or dumb enough) to use their real email address. I've seen thousands of comments, similar to this one, on news websites but the author's true identity is always hidden behind an alias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The extreme right-wing political posture and racist sentiments expressed are another salient reminder that we do not live in a "post-racial" society. Considering the widespread racial prejudice that exists, I think his comments were rather mild given the extreme examples of racism that are often not articulated or receive publicity. White supremacy is so pervasive that new structural forms of oppression through harmful language can be marginalized and (sometimes) ignored. I think his email should provide a glimpse of exposure to the overt elitism that already exist in America. I believe authentic forms of racial healing will only gain traction through the de-construction and eradication of concentrated American oligarchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually find that ignorance is the most potent fuel for hatred, racism and prejudice. As previously mentioned, it seems that Mr/Ms. "Anti-Grammar Check" may fit firmly into this category. I think one way to combat this is to find avenues to educate alumni. Is there ever any material sent out to "humanize" the recipents of Pell Grants or to present an alternative perspective of Pell Grant recipients? I think for the 2007-2008 academic year, the number of white students receiving Pell Grants was about 20%(?). This is still a significant number. I wonder what measures are being taken to counter stereotypical views of Pell Grant recipients. Perhaps personal stories of white and minority students would help to introduce a tangible element. People will not support something that they aren't informed about and don't care about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Autumn, ignorance and lack of education on programs, bills, or whatever the issue may be plays a big part in people jumping to conclusions or drawing their opinion from their racist ideas.

    I should add...our email initiated over 3,300 emails to federal legislators across the U.S. which is big! So there are some alumni out there willing to act on behalf of the U of I and students.

    We did provide some information on both the Pell Grants (they help over 14,000 current students at U of I alone and are for lower-income students)...but people only read what they want to, and of course make un-intelligent connections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with Chris, this man's (assuming he is a man)thoughts and ideas do not suprise me. Its amazing and hurtful to read the ignorant comments people most on news articles, youtube videos and etc. I was looking at some videos on youtube about the Dream Act and the comments I read were so outragous and rather unthikable that I had to get off the site. I also agree with Autumn, I think its not only important that we ask our alumni for donations, but its just as important to update them monthly or quartely on the unversities celebrations and how their donations are not only impacting mainstream students but "minority" students as well. For that matter, how their money is helping us all. Also, I am at a point where no matter how much we educate others, some will continue to think in such a mind frame. Forget those lost causes, but lets focus on morphing the minds of our little ones today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Appalling. I am wondering, though, why the word racist is written as 'racist' in the title?

    ReplyDelete