Friday, April 1, 2011

College admissions comittee process: criteria/chaos

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134916924/Amherst-Admissions-Process

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1112758-npr-college-admissions-story.html

The first link leads to a NPR story about the college admission committee process at Amherst, MA – uncovering the criteria as well as chaos of the process, and the emotions and struggles all parties go through.

The second link has a bullet-point summary of the NPR story. This second link is a blog about the NPR story, where people raise interesting issues regarding what was most salient to them in the story.

I post these links because they are directly connected to a couple topics we have discussed in recent weeks, particular Dr. Baber’s handout in class about Michigan’s old admission criteria.

Also, I want to thank others in the class who have been posting on the blog. Although I don’t comment on most of them, I spend a few minutes reviewing the articles/topics. Very enriching, its like we are our own little reporting group on issues on diversity in HE.

5 comments:

  1. "It also helps to come across as different" This was a very interesting audio to listen to! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote I posted is from the article and I found it interesting because it really doesn't make sense. Different, in their context, could be anyone - as long as they are "different" from the other applications. The other applicants, the other students' activities, essays, recommendations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article regarding admissions at Amhearst was interesting. No matter what, everyone has a story. When people read essays, it takes them through a lens so they can learn about the person. I was suprised when they said reading stories about low-income students makes them cry at times. I was kind of mad when they just put it in a different pile because of the essay they read. I don't think that person's essay got a fair chance of people looking at it. They should not be biased when they see other applications like that. It just is what it is. Its reality. I would like to know how they choose admissions officers? I would like to know how they are screened to get a job like that? I thought the part about someone in the committee not feeling they are heard could get revenge the next day when someone else wants to choose a student and that person does not vote for that student is interesting. It makes one ponder, "What kind of people did you hire to be admissions officers"? Thats being just mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must have gotten an entirely different take on the situation. I didn't hear anything that seemed "mean" or less than dedicated. I heard a genuine emotion and effort put into what can seem like an impossible task. Anytime you are sorting through 8,000 applicants for 1,000 slots, it is incredibly difficult. I was on a committee that scored admission essays at Oregon State -- that's not even an elite school with such a limited number of slots as this, and I found it very difficult to differentiate among candidates. It is a task that raters take very seriously and approach with great heart.

    ReplyDelete