Thursday, March 3, 2011

Did a Sexual Education course go too far?

When I was reading through the Chicago Tribune today, I stumbled upon this interesting article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-northwestern-president-criticizes-sextoy-demonstration-20110303,0,7493639.story

Seeing an article such as this one brings up a really good question: How far is too far? After reading the title of the article, I instantly thought to myself "no doubt about it, this professor was in the wrong." Once I completely read the piece, however, I had a change of heart.

Even though I believe the actual class session (in which the demonstration took place) SHOULD have occurred OFF campus, I have no actual problem with the demonstration itself. The professor did not require students to attend that particular class, and he gave several warnings before the demonstration transpired.

5 comments:

  1. This was a tough article to read for me. I agree with you in that I also believe this should have been off campus. Though wouldn't that make it less "educational"?

    In this particular case, I honestly don't think this demonstration was essential to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The instructor should be held accountable, being that they took the demonstration too far. Sexual pleasure cannot be shown only felt, therefore the entire demonstration was pointless. Although, sex education is such a major factor with students there is certainly a time and place for everything. The appropriate space should have been off campus and titled as a seminar. This case does have implications about the ways in which people view sex and its educational value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, I was at a lost of words. Consider this presentation a lesson learned. The person in charge of this presentation series, should 1) inform presenters on what is/is not appropriate to cover and 2) at least ask for an outline of what will be discussed in the presentation. Also, I do not completely feel its the instructors fault, because the presenters decided to perform the sexual act minutes before it took place. Something to keep in mind, the article did not provide any comments or concerns from students who actually attended the presentation. Also lets be frank, even if the presentation was done off-campus, it would still be a problem for some, especially if its being sponsored and advertised by a university instructor/professor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this was grossly inappropriate, but I think that it should be allowed to occur on campus (especially at a private secular research university) as long as it was optional and that no extra credit was handed out for attending the lecture.

    I'm sure that the students did learn something from the experience, although I definitely agree that this was not in any way essential or even needed for the class.

    I think that if we believe in academic freedom that we have to give it out to everyone, not just those who we agree with.

    At least the professor sort of apologized for what he did.

    http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/campus/prof-bailey-apologizes-for-damaging-nu-s-reputation-with-optional-sex-toy-demonstration-1.2505786

    ReplyDelete
  5. Given what I read about this Professor, I wonder if he is someone who seeks out controversy. In the name of academic freedoms, some academicians will go to great lengths to push boundaries. Whether that is a good or bad thing -- I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete